A very commonly asked question when planning a photo shoot is “What do you suggest we wear?”. There are a few factors that go into this answer: personality, coordinating everyone, location, textures, layers, and accessories. I decided after having our family pictures done and picking outfits for us that it would be good to write a post devoted strictly to this topic. It was harder then I thought picking something for each of us and wanted to share my perspective. Here are a few things I’ve compiled to help you pick your outfit.
1. Always pick something that shows your personality. You want the pictures to really reflect you and show who you are as a person/family.
2. You want to remember to have everyone coordinating, but not trying to match the colors exactly. This is hard for some people. You don’t want everyone to wear the same shade of red shirt. Choosing a solid red shirt, a pattern with the same red in it, etc. are ways to work around that. We tend to tell people to stay away from the white shirt and kaki shorts/pants look. Put some personality into it! A good place to start is picking one outfit first and branching out from there. It’s usually easier to start with the woman/girls of the family. They are usually the ones that wear prints (flowers, etc.).
3. You want to make sure the outfit you pick reflects the location of your shoot and the weather.
4. Bring in different textures and layer it up. For our shoot Paul layered his neutral outfit and had a nice textured sweater with a button down underneath. This pulled it all together nicely. This is pretty easy for girls too (a nice cardigan, denim jacket, or blazers, etc.).
5. Don’t be afraid to accessorize. You don’t want to do over do the accessories by any means but you do want to bring in some accessories. Weather permitted a scarf is nice, a single piece of jewelry, hats, belts, headbands, etc.
To get more ideas on outfits, check out our Session Outfits board on Pinterest.
What’s a post without pictures right? I’ll leave you with a few picutres of our family phtographed by the wonderful The Beautiful Mess! Don’t forget to go check out the rest of our pictures here! The Beautiful Mess did such a great job at capturing our sweet little family. Pierson was such a ham!
For our session we wanted Pierson to be the star of our photo shoot and the cutest of us all. So we started with his outfit first and built of it. We picked a pretty blue checkered print button up onesie with a matching hat. Then we found a blue tie that matched his outfit perfectly and Paul paired that with some neutral layers. I picked a complimenting coral shade and layered it with a cardigan. To bring in their blue I had a matching bracelet. Hopefully this helped!